What is Fluency?
Fluency is the ability to read smoothly and automatically, with expression and attention to punctuation.
Pace = the speed in which you read
- The goal is to read at a “just right” pace
- Reading not too fast and not too slow
Phrasing = Chunking the words together into meaningful phrases
- Reading in phrases and not reading words one.word.at.a.time.
Samantha drove to the store
and bought some bread.
Intonation (Expression) = Reading with feeling in your voice
- Changing your voice to match a character
- Reading like you would speak (and not like a robot!)
- Moving your voice up and down
Punctuation = Reading with attention to punctuation
- Stopping at periods . . .
- Taking breaths at commas , , ,
- Making your voice go up for question marks ? ? ?
- Showing excitement for exclamation points ! ! !
- Using “quotation marks” to change voice for characters.